Monday, February 9, 2009

DUMBO Deluxe

photo credit: ACME at Smack Mellon. Courtesy of Smack Mellon.

I just love this picture. See how we are huddled in our winter coats? It was about ten below zero that night, and about thirty degrees inside the gallery. I am not exaggerating. I would tip toe to the ladies room b/c it had a small space heater, and go back out again. But the music was exhilarating. Somehow the cold, the chocolate lager, the art installation and the lights from the Manhattan Bridge created a kind of Buddhist moment for me.
Of course that quickly dissipated when I found myself out on the streets after the concert. DUMBO is still a frontier town but it has gotten better. After eight years, Peas and Pickles is still the only grocery store, but its hideously overpriced. There was one restaurant open on Water Street. I was too cold to explore. Frigid. Freezing. But, I was starving. The pizza place on Water Street had just closed. So I opted for two cookies. Then a miracle happened. A yellow cab appeared out of nowhere. Excellent. Smooth ride home along the river.
Want to give a shout out to my brother's blog, http://www.leonslugocki.blogspot.com/. He is a conservative right wing rock and roller. If that sounds interesting to you, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment