Friday, July 10, 2009

This is how you rebuild your life

Earlier I was on the phone with Bank of America who is suing me. I've had to reconcile myself to the fact that I have to file for bankruptcy. I've worked so hard for a year trying to get another part-time job, full-time job, free-lance job, whatever job, but to no avail. Strangely, I do not find comfort in the fact that there are millions of people who are in the same boat. I was walking Molly today and overheard a woman say, I'm going to lose my house.

Instead of panicking (which I did yesterday) I told myself that knowledge is power, and spoke to three attorneys. I also went online and researched my rights. When I had a slum landlord, I did the same thing, went to court and won. This is more complicated of course, but I look forward to the day when this weight is off my shoulders and I can start over. Meanwhile, this has been the loveliest summer in New York that I can remember.

I'm still being treated to birthday lunches and brunches. I have my health. It will get better. The economy will get better. One day soon I can treat myself to a new pair of shoes, a new blouse, a new pair of jeans, a new lipstick. This is how you rebuild your life. One small item at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment